System.Web Dependency is Back?

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I wanted to use this library so that I could UrlEncode without having a dependency on System.Web and therefore would only need the .NET Framework v4.0 Client Profile.  A previous version did not have this dependency.  Why is it here now?

thanks,

Dave

Coordinator
Mar 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

As it now supports swapping out the encoder via web.config the interface for that is in System.Web, hence the dependency in the .NET 4.0 version.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Thank you for the lightning fast reply.  :) 

I originally found this library when searching for something to remove the dependency on System.Web.  I think that may have even been one of it's original design goals or at least a stated feature at the time.

I've noticed that the 3.5 version doesn't have this dependency so i will use that instead. Still, it would be nice to have a 4.0 version without the dependency as well.

Thanks again.

Dave

Coordinator
Mar 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

If I went without I'd end up having 2 versions of the 4.0 assembly, I think it's complicated enough as it is :) I can't honestly say I remember ever promising to remove dependencies on System.Web, and with having to keep feature parity with .NET 4.5 now I'm afraid it's going to stay as is.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

No worries.  The 3.5 version works fine for now.  Future evolution of our applicaiton will likely remove the need for this anyways.

Cheers,

Dave